Monday, 28 March 2016

We Will Not Disclose Amount Recovered From Loots - FG



The Federal Government has explained why it won’t disclose the amount of looted funds it recovered from corrupt public officials.
It said the amount won’t be made public yet because it will be used as evidence against them in court.
Presidential spokesman Mallam Garba Shehu said much as President Muhammadu Buhari would have liked to let Nigerians know how much had been recovered, it will be impossible for now.
He said the money recovered was in the vaults of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), adding that “the issue of how much has been returned has been there. The money retrieved has to be used as evidence in court. The President said two things; we will recover and we will prosecute. So, as it is now, you don’t go and bring all these billions returned out.
“I am aware that there is an account with the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) where some of these funds are being kept and are evidence for a judge to see. It is not for public display. I think that is the challenge we have at the moment.”
According to him, Vice President Yemi Osinbajo will soon hit the road travelling around the country to address town hall meetings, explaining government policies and actions.
The town hall meetings, he said, will hold in the first instance at zonal levels before going down to state capitals.